Keeva Acne Cream Review- Do the Ingredients Cause Side Effects?
Keeva Organics is a well known brand that has many good reviews on the internet, but does their tea tree oil acne cream actually work?
Tea tree oil is a staple in many skin care products because of its astringent, anti-fungal, and antibacterial properties.
It is comparable to benzoyl peroxide in that they both are effective for acne, but tea tree oil has less side effects (1).
We have used tea tree oil products in the past like masks and wipes and know that this ingredient can be effective.
The product also contains many other ingredients which may hinder the effectiveness of the tea tree oil by possibly clogging pores and making pimples worse.
This is why we were drawn to this product and wanted to test it for ourselves to give you our honest Keeva tea tree oil cream review.
About Keeva Organics
This product is formulated in Arizona and manufactured in China.
We noticed that the company makes claims like "heals 7x faster" and "skin health improves dramatically", but they do not provide studies or comparisons showing this.
Description of Keeva Acne Cream
The cream comes in a small round container. The cream is completely white and has a mild floral scent. You can smell it more when you apply it on your face and the menthol and tea tree oil becomes activated.
Their Amazon listing has over 2300 reviews with a 4.5 out of 5 star rating. Below is their top positive review and their top critical review.
These reviews help other customers become aware of the positive effects as well as the possible side effects.
I’ve only been using it for a couple of weeks and I love it. My skin is a combination of oily and dry and this product has the perfect balance. My skin has cleared up somewhat, I still have some dark spots but again it’s only been a couple weeks. I’m going to continue to buy this because it helps clear my breakouts and lighten the redness.
"Clogs your pores"
This company changed their formula about a year ago and they claim they changed it back to their original formula, but that’s absolutely untrue. This stuff is weird. At first it helps with cystic acne, but this stuff will clog your pores like nothing else. What happens is that after using it for a few days, any blemishes on your face will stay exactly as they are. No better, no worse. Then you’ll get lots of bumpy blackheads.
There are a few reviewers who posted before and after images of their skin and you can see some improvement. We are not aware of the diet they eat or any supplements they take which may also play a role in the treatment of their pimples.
How to Use Keeva Tea Tree Oil Cream
The directions on the box say:
On freshly-washed skin, apply a thin layer onto affected areas and massage gently. Our intense natural formula penetrates acne, detoxifying the skin, shrinking the pores, and controlling excess sebum secretion to prevent future blemishes. Acne scars fade quickly and skin luster and health improves dramatically.
A little of the tea tree oil acne treatment cream goes a long way. You do not need to apply much to feel the cooling and menthol effect of this product. The Keeva acne cream is meant to be left on and not washed off. Make sure to apply it to a clean face to ensure that it penetrates deep into the skin.
Tea tree oil is also known to cause irritation when it is not dissolved properly or if you apply too much. We did not experience that side effect when we used it, but it is something to keep in mind especially if you have sensitive skin.
The Acne Treatment Cream Ingredients
The Keeva tea tree oil acne treatment cream ingredients are safe and mostly natural. A positive about these ingredients is that they are non-GMO, paraben free, and sulfate free.
- Deionized Water- Water that is purified and has almost all of it's minerals removed.
- Stearic Acid- Helps thicken cosmetics and removes dirt from hair and skin.
- Glyceryl Stearate- Helps to stabilize and preserve a product.
- Shea Butter- Helps provide moisture into the skin.
- Rosehip Seed Oil- Contains antioxidants and linoleic acid which is beneficially for helping acne.
- Sesame Seed Oil- Contains antioxidants and essential fats which help reduce inflammation. (2)
- Olive Oil- Naturally has antioxidant properties that help with early signs of aging and hydrates the skin.
- Extracs of White Willow- Contains salicylic acid which lowers the body's levels of prostaglandins that cause inflammation in the skin.
- Burdock- Used as a natural detoxifier to rid the body and skin of toxins which may build up and cause pimples.
- Milk Thistle- Largely utilized for detoxing the liver. Our liver is our bodies immune system thus keeping our liver working correctly will help cure numerous health ailments such as skin problems.
- Hops- Hops are a beneficial ingredient for organic skincare by treating dry skin.
- Sophora Root Extract- Has a diuretic effect which pulls out excess water and toxins from the body.
- Squalene- Naturally found in olive oil and has antioxidant effects.
- Iso-Octyl Palmitate- Serves as an emollient which softens and smooths the skin.
- Isopropyl Myristate- Used as an emollient and binder in cosmetics.
- Polydimethylsiloxane- Helps the product smoothly glide over your skin.
- Salicylic Acid- Dries out skin and kills bacteria.
- Vitamin E- Vitamin E includes antioxidant properties which could decrease inflammation. This vitamin is found in a number of topical items like serums for healthy skin as it helps smoothen out fine lines and wrinkles.
- Tea Tree Oil- Has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties which may it beneficial for healing wounds and cleaning out pores.
- Argan Oil- Good for skin toning, exfoliating, and moisturizing.
- Phenoxyethanol- Can naturally be found in green tea, but in skincare it is synthetically made. It is used to fight bacteria and is considered safe in small amounts. (3)
- DL-Menthol- This ingredient along with tea tree oil gives the skin a cooling and tingling sensation.
- Hyaluronic Acid- Used for early signs of aging, hydrating the skin, and flexibility of the skin.
- Grape seed Extract- Contains antioxidants which prevent the breakdown of skin cells.
Keeva Organics Tea Tree Oil Side Effects
We are unaware of the source of the stearic acid as it can be derived from plants or animals. This product is not tested on animals, but they do not say definitively that it is sourced from plants.
The ingredient Isopropyl Myristate is comedogenic meaning it has the ability to clog pores. This may be the reason why the the top critical Amazon review mentioned this side effect.
Grape seed extract has known interactions with certain medications so it is best to speak with your doctor before using this product if you are taking any prescriptions.
Where to Buy
Keeva acne cream is available on Amazon, eBay, Walmart, and their company website. We decided to purchase from Amazon because of the free two-day shipping for Prime members and the easy return in case we do not like the product.
A Keeva organics coupon code or promo code was not available when we purchased it, but included in the was an opportunity to earn a second free jar by taking progress photos and sending it to them.
You can also find Keeva acne treatment cream in other countries such as India and the UK which are both sold on their respective Amazon websites.
Other Products They Sell
The Keeva Organics shampoo contains argan oil, coconut oil, and tea tree oil as well. These ingredients work well for getting rid of dirt and excess oil from the hair while providing moisture to it.
Along with the tea tree oil cream they also sell an anti-aging cream and a serum which can be used as a moisturizer for your daily night routine.
Pros & Cons
CONCLUSION: Does It Work?
After using Keeva tea tree oil acne cream we can honestly say that this product works for getting rid of small acne bumps. We did not see a difference in regards to reducing redness, but that does not mean that others will not experience that effect.
According to customer reviews more people have seen results when they use it for blemishes compared to when they use it for acne scars. Is the best acne solution? We do not think it can treat acne per se, but we think you should give it a try.